Monday, October 21, 2013

Tunisian Crochet Headband Pattern (FREE!)

I discovered Tunisian crochet a few years back before I learned how to knit.  I loved it, creating two toned fabric in the Tunisian single stitch (tss) and later learning how to purl.  The thing is this process takes up more yarn than I typically plan on using for any one purpose so I rarely do it.  I own several sizes of double-ended crochet hooks for whenever I get that itch.  I had to scratch it two days ago when I did this headband.  I debated about whether to offer the pattern but seeing as patterns in Tunisian crochet are becoming more popular, why not add to the mix?

This pattern has no purl stitch, just the Tunisian single stitch and chains.  The "shells" aren't really shells at all, just a few loops pulled together.  Sound confusing?  Allow me to explain.

For those who don't know how to do Tunisian crochet, let me borrow someone else's video to show you the basics of casting on and the simple stitch.



For those who are like me and like reading directions, here you go:

Casting on:
Chain the desired number of stitches.  Working back into the chain, insert hook into first chain from the hook.  YO and pull up loop.  You now have two loops on the hook.  Insert hook into the next chain, yo and pull up loop.  Continue this across all chains.

Return Row:
At the end of the row, yo and pull yarn through one loop.  *Then yarn over and pull yarn through two loops.*  Repeat * to * across until you have one loop left on the hook.

Tunisian Single Stitch:
See those nifty bars left by the return stitch?  *Insert your hook into the first bar, yo and pull up a loop.*  Congratulations!  You've just made the first stitch.  Continue * to * across until all bars, including that stubborn one on the end, has a loop pulled up.
Complete return row.

Tunisian Open-Work Headband

Worsted Weight yarn (I used Vanna's Choice)
    This would be lovely in a DK weight yarn to really emphasize the lacy quality
5 mm hook





First measure your head, or your victim's head to see how long to make it.  I think this would make a lovely scarf as well with more starting chains.

Chain a multiple of five stitches plus 2.

Ch 17.

First Row:
Cast on as usual.  The fun part comes in the return row.  Ready?  Yo, pull through 1 loop on hook, *yo, pull through 2 loops on hook, ch 1, yo, pull through 4 loops on hook (makes a "shell"), ch 1, yo, pull through 2 loops on hook;  repeat from * to last stitch and pull through 2 loops on hook.

Second Row:
(Loop on the hook counts as a stitch).  tss in next stitch, *insert hook in next ch-sp, pull up a loop, insert hook into top of shell, pull up loop, insert hook into next ch-sp, pull up loop, tss in each of next 2 stitches;  Repeat from * across.  Return Row:  Yo, pull through 1 loop on hook, *yo pull through 2 loops on hook, ch 1, yo, pull through 4 loops on hook (makes a "shell"), ch 1, yo, pull through 2 loops on hook; repeat from * to last stitch, pull through 2 loops on hook.

Repeat Row 2 until the proper length.

Final Rows:
I'm putting this even though I didn't do mine this way.  I just slipstitched the ends together from the last row to the first to avoid sewing...scandalously lazy, yes it is.  Here is the way for those who don't mind taking the extra steps towards perfection.  I like clean connects so bear with me.

Repeat row 2.  On return row: At the end of the row, yo and pull yarn through one loop.  *Then yarn over and pull yarn through two loops.*  Repeat * to * across until you have one loop left on the hook.

*Insert hook into vertical bar of the next stitch, yo and pull up a loop and go through loop on the hook.  Repeat from *  until you are left with one loop on the hook.  Fasten off and you are DONE!


Whipstitch the two ends together.  Blocking is optional.  I would have definitely blocked if I was using thinner yarn but with worsted I didn't see the need.  I can't take complete credit for this.  The elements of the Tunisian stitch were written in severe shorthand in my journal, obviously taken from a book I could not procure (I didn't write down the name of it either...darn).  Must have been a Books-A-Million run.  Either way, it makes a pretty headband.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment